The August summer recess period is the longest uninterrupted time every year that Members of Congress will spend working and meeting with constituents in their home districts and states.
We know that many of you take this opportunity to meet with your Members every year, and you are the experts on your mission and you know best the ways federal policymakers and their staff can help your organizations. As you prepare for August recess, whether you’ve made plans or connecting with your Members for the first time, here are a few resources and opportunities to help you engage with Congress directly on a few core issues impacting all charitable organizations.
What Can I Do to Help?
- Take a moment to use our Action Center to send a message to your Members of Congress and connect with them on social media on the important issues listed below.
- Incorporate the talking points below into your own recess messaging.
- For more information and background, check out the resource links under each issue.
- Let us know how it’s going and what you’re learning!
1. Expand the Charitable Deduction to 100% of Taxpayers
Main Talking Point: Current tax proposals would decrease charitable giving by up to $13 billion a year, but expanding the charitable deduction would increase charitable giving and is a win for all Americans.
- Visit Giving100.org to learn more about the deduction and America’s tradition of giving
- Research: Tax Policy and Charitable Giving
- Advocacy and Communications Toolkit: Expanding the Charitable Deduction
- Charitable Deduction Fact Sheet (PDF)
2. Protect the Johnson Amendment
Main Talking Point: Repealing the Johnson Amendment threatens the public’s trust and investment in charities.
- Johnson Amendment Fact Sheet (PDF)
- 100 Days for Good Podcast (Season 1, Episodes 4&6 are about Johnson Amendment)
3. Proposed Budget Cuts Put America on the Wrong Track
Main Talking Point: Proposed cuts hurt our nation’s most vulnerable populations and negatively affect charitable organizations’ capacity to pursue our missions.
- State Profiles: The Economic Value and Impact of the Charitable Community
- IS Statement of Beliefs on Federal Tax and Spending Policies
Visit our Action Center to engage with Congress on these important issues during August Recess.