Listed below are a number of ways you, as constituents, can engage with your Members of Congress to urge them to take immediate action on H.R. 4719 before the end of 2014. This legislation makes permanent five important charitable giving incentives, including three expired tax extenders, that support the critical work of nonprofit organizations across the country
(see more about H.R. 4719 below).
Without legislative action prior to the end of the year and the 113th Congress, the tax extender provisions will remain expired and the House-passed bill to make them permanent will become defunct.
- Send a letter. In 30 seconds or less, you can send a letter directly to your Senators and Representatives, using draft language we have created especially for this issue. Enter your zip code here to begin.
- Request a brief meeting. Lawmakers are eager to hear about what is important to their constituents! Look up the contact information for your Senator here and ask for a 10- to 15-minute meeting to discuss how charitable tax extenders make possible the vital work carried out by nonprofits in your state. Here are some useful resources for your meeting:
Submit an opinion piece to your local newspaper. Highlight the importance of charitable tax incentives to the work of nonprofits in your area by sending in an op-ed to your local newspaper. Feel free to borrow language from this sample op-ed written for this specific issue.
- A letter signed by over 1,030 organizations In July that articulates the need for permanent reinstatement of the charitable tax extenders
- A one-pager on the IRA Charitable Rollover provision
- A profile of the community and economic impact of the nonprofit sector in your state
- A recording of the Aug. 5 strategy session on charitable tax extenders
- A webinar on how to conduct an effective meeting with elected officials (purchase required)
- More information about these three charitable tax extenders and the other provisions in H.R. 4719
Engage on social media. Urge your Members of Congress to support #HR4719 on Twitter and Facebook, and encourage your friends and colleagues to drive up traffic by "liking" or re-Tweeting your posts.
About H.R. 4719
On July 17, 2014 the House of Representatives passed by 277-130 the America Gives More Act (H.R. 4719),
a package of five charitable provisions that would:
The House Ways and Means approved these provisions as five separate bills during a markup on May 29.
In the Senate, legislation that would renew for two years nearly all of the 55 provisions in the tax extenders package, including the three charitable extenders that expired January 1, has stalled due to a disagreement over the amendment process.