ACT NOW TO RESTORE CHARITABLE GIVING INCENTIVES IN FEDERAL LAW
Every day, America's communities needlessly lose the resources their charities could have used to meet their needs. Money, food, and land that could have been donated to develop counseling programs for at-risk youth, provide nutrition assistance to hungry children, or preserve swaths of pristine land are instead diverted, wasted, or permanently lost due to uncertainty over the status of the tax incentives needed to make these donations possible.
Urge your Senators to restore and make permanent three expired giving incentives that support the critical work of nonprofit organizations across the country and the provision which simplifies taxes for foundations that fund the work charities do.
The giving incentives promote:
Congress renewed the provisions for only two weeks last December. Then Congress allowed these giving incentives to expire again on January 1, 2015, for the fifth time in recent years. These provisions would be made permanent as part of the America Gives More Act, which passed the House by a greater than two-thirds majority in February. Unfortunately, the Senate is currently only considering a temporary extension of these measures through 2016.
- Send a letter. In 30 seconds or less, you can send a letter directly to your Senator, using draft language we have created especially for this issue. Enter your state here to begin.
- Engage on social media. Use Twitter and Facebook to urge the leaders of the powerful Senate tax-writing committee, as well as Senate leadership and your own Senators, to #Act4Good include provisions making these charitable giving incentives permanent in any upcoming tax extender legislation. Encourage your friends and colleagues to drive up traffic by "liking" or re-Tweeting your posts.
Sample tweet: "@SenOrrinHatch I stand w/ @IndSector & support permanent charitable giving incentives http://bit.ly/1xuTaqz #Act4Good”
- Call the Senate. Look up the contact information for your Senators and leave a message or ask to speak with their staff to discuss the importance of permanent giving incentives in the tax code. Explain how the charitable giving incentives make possible the vital work carried out by charities and foundations in your state.
- Call and say: “Please support the permanent reinstatement of charitable giving incentives; the people who benefit from the work of nonprofits in our community need your support.”
- Or, download a longer script.
- Submit an opinion piece to your local newspaper. Highlight the importance of charitable tax incentives to the work of nonprofits in your area by sending in an op-ed to your local newspaper.
- Short on time? Send us your stories! Send a quick note to our policy team about why these provisions matter to you.
PHOTO CREDIT | Center: The Campus Kitchens Project, Right: Conservation Corps Minnesota and Iowa Stream Project, courtesy The Corps Network