TAKE ACTION TO PASS THE AMERICA GIVES MORE ACT
Every day, America's communities needlessly lose the resources their charities could have used to meet their needs. Money, food, and pristine land that could have been preserved and donated to further social good are instead diverted, wasted, or permanently lost due to donors' uncertainty over whether they'll receive the tax incentives needed to make these donations possible.
Urge your Senators to take up and vote yes on the America Gives More Act of 2015 (H.R. 644), legislation that permanently restores three expired giving incentives to support the critical work of nonprofit organizations across the country and simplifies taxes for foundations that fund the work charities do.
The giving incentives included in H.R. 644 promote:
More than two-thirds of the House of Representatives voted to pass the America Gives more Act February 12. Contact your Senators today to urge them to take up and pass the America Gives More Act, in order to provide certainty to nonprofits that deliver vital services to communities in your state.
- Send a letter. In 30 seconds or less, you can send a letter directly to your Senator, using draft language we have created especially for this issue. Enter your state here to begin.
- Engage on social media. Urge the leaders of the powerful Senate tax-writing committee, as well as Senate leadership and your own Senators, to #Act4Good and pass H.R. 644 (#HR644) on Twitter and Facebook. Encourage your friends and colleagues to drive up traffic by "liking" or re-Tweeting your posts.
Sample tweet: "@SenOrrinHatch I stand w/ @IndSector & support permanent charitable giving incentives http://ow.ly/Ete2q Pass #HR644 now! #Act4Good”
- Call the Senate. Look up the contact information for your Senators and leave a message or ask to speak with their staff to discuss the importance of permanent giving incentives in the tax code to your organization's work. Explain how the provisions in H.R. 644 make possible the vital work carried out by charities and foundations in their states.
- Call and say: “Support the America Gives More Act; the people who benefit from the work of nonprofits in our community need your support.”
- Or, download a longer script.
- Submit an opinion piece to your local newspaper. Highlight the importance of charitable tax incentives to the work of nonprofits in your area by sending in an op-ed to your local newspaper. Feel free to borrow language from this sample op-ed written for this specific issue, and check out this piece written by a local food bank president sharing her story.
- Short on time? Send us your stories! Send a quick note to our policy team about how these provisions facilitate the vital charitable work of your organization.
PHOTO CREDIT | Center: The Campus Kitchens Project, Right: Conservation Corps Minnesota and Iowa Stream Project, courtesy The Corps Network